startv?

Hi I made an account specifically to ask and get information about the Jap version of TVPAD 4, the Startv. I am new to this so was wondering if someone can help me out before I fork out 300 bucks for the system.
Firstly, How long has the Startv been out? I am worried about the TVPAD 1,2,3 situation where the older model will be phased out by the company.
Secondly, the sellers on eBay all told me that the system for 300 bucks only work for 3 years before expiring and I have to pay again. Is that normal for all TVpad services?
Lastly does anyone have this system and any recommendations? Including whether to buy or not?
Thanked by 1Lbe

Comments

• padmanpadman Moderator
    I discovered StarTV last month. I haven't seen any reviews on it so can't really help you there.

But.. You may be overpaying if the seller is asking for $300 for startv. Seems like the going price for it is about 200 (same as TVPad4/Bluetv)

I'm not sure about working for 3 years but as I have suggested to people. Take the full value of the unit and divide by 12 months, and see if it's worth it to you per month. If it works beyond the 1 year mark, then great. If it stops prior to 12 months that's where you need to decide for yourself to see if it's worth it. Don't set yourself an expectation where you could buy a media box and it'll last a lifetime.

Where TVPad failed miserably was they promised "lifetime free tv" and people were mad whent hey shut 1-3 down.

• thanks I meant 300 aud as I am in Australia, and all sellers based here seems to be selling at that price
    so you are saying just expect it to work 12 months, and dont expect even 3 years?
    Your reply is very helpful btw!!
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    @Minz well it should work longer than 12 months. But anything could happen right :#

Do your personal equation is worth it. Basically for 12 months, you are looking at $20 per month for service. Could you subscribe to similar if not equivalent legal service for that amount?

• @Minz well it should work longer than 12 months. But anything could happen right :#

Do your personal equation is worth it. Basically for 12 months, you are looking at $20 per month for service. Could you subscribe to similar if not equivalent legal service for that amount?

Well say...padman, thanks for your honestly comment.
  • first of all, VOD is the selling point of startv,after tvpad is over in USA ,tvpad launch startv(vod+live package ) utv(hardware package) gtv(jp / kr livetv vod playback package) bluetv(another name of tvpad4) linestv(for Mandarin customer). i think tvpad only can keep provide the bluetv and startv(vod will not update anymore) service and product.