How to permanently activate the green man on TVPad1

Comments

• tvbolontvbolon Junior Member
    Did you use the .Tar file instead of the zip file u download?
    otherwise you dont needa change dns or connect to internet to do the upgrade.
  • My model is M121. I renamed the file to correspond to M121. I didn't hook up the internet (mine was using RJ45) during the upgrade process at all and the upgrade took 10 minutes. After the upgrade, the green man stays grey. I reconnect my internet, reboot and the green man is alive. Then I just reload some apps and use DNS 49.*. All the live TV apps work but I haven't tried VOD apps yet.
  • Btw, I did it on one M121 and one M121S, both were connected to the Internet with default DNS. I didn't do anything special.
    After the upgrade, the green man stays grey. I reconnect my internet, reboot and the green man is alive.
    That is correct, the login process first checks if there is an internet connection. I was wondering whether I should remove that check as well, but I decided not to do that at first while I was testing. Then I got too lazy to go back and modify the process again. Hopefully it's not a big issue for anyone, otherwise in the future I may consider removing the network check as well.
  • SomebodySomebody Junior Member
    When I tried to upgrade the firmware to v3.27 on my M121S TvPad via Settings -> Update systems,
    TVPad recognized the file in the USB drive, but immediately threw this error:
    "Upgrade failed! - Check server version failed!"
    Happened to me too. I then put both the .tar file and the file inside the tar file on the root of the micro SD card, then tried the upgrade again. Went to Settings -> Update system which then scanned the local drives and upgraded fine.
  • fustratedfustrated TV Nuts
    edited January 2016
    Did you use the .Tar file instead of the zip file u download?
    otherwise you dont needa change dns or connect to internet to do the upgrade.
    Yes I did. the file I used for upgrade is creatent_usb_update_M121S_3311_GVOS2.tar

I tried unzipping this file using Windows XP, WinRar and later unzipped this file using Mac (unzip from terminal) but that did not seem to make a difference

I retried twice with TVPad connected to internet via RJ45 (ethernet), once with auto DNS and the other time with manual pointing to 49.x

On both attempts, the upgrade progress found the .tar file on the USB drive, showed me the 'Preparing to upgrade...' progress bar. <- I would assume this means the upgrade process was initiated

however, on both attempts, the upgrade failed after approximately 5 seconds. and threw the failure message.

By the way, what does the error "Check server version failed" during firmware upgrade really mean?

@Somebody :
    Thanks for suggestion, put both the .tar file, and the extract content on the root of USB drive and retried. It still did not work.

I will buy a micro SD card and try tomorrow, maybe USB drive is not the way to go, but micro SD card is the correct device to use for upgrade
    Post edited by fustrated on
  • tvbolontvbolon Junior Member
    are you sure your pad1 is M121S ? check in system info again to make sure.
    if it M121 then you have to rename to creatent_usb_update_M121_3311_GVOS2.tar in order for it to upgrade.
  • are you sure your pad1 is M121S ? check in system info again to make sure.
    if it M121 then you have to rename to creatent_usb_update_M121_3311_GVOS2.tar in order for it to upgrade.
    Yes, the TVPad is M121S. As per the system info indicates:
    Android Version: 2.3.4 Customized
    TVPad Version: 3.26
    Model: M121S_3311_GVOS2
    Product Version: International
    Current Language: English
    MAC Address:

As a matter of fact, I did also renamed the tar file to M121 instead of M121S and retired.

I also extracted the content of the tar file, and copied them onto the root of the USB drives. Its seemed that the upgrade process recognized there is an upgrade package on the drive; and allowed me to start the upgrade process.

However, no matter what I do, I always get stuck on the error "Check server version failed! ... Completed 100%" error
  • Check out this thread:
    http://tvpadtalk.ca/discussion/399/tvpad-m121-down-in-france/p1

That person had the same issue. The problem was solved by downloading the firmware from another location. This makes me believe that it could be a corrupted download in the first place. Have you tried to download the firmware again (if possible from another machine) ?
  • cheuk5cheuk5 Senior Member
    Yes I use this file upgrade to 3.27 the green man is back reinstall all apps my pad1 fell happy now :3 :p Thanks!
    Are you saying that your TVP1 was not working with no green man but when you upgraded to this firmware and reinstalled the apps they were all working? From Phantoman's write up I thought only the third party/hacked apps like Phanto and TMP would work? Thanks

No after upgraded to 3.27 my PAD 1 is back on duty ( all apps) =) ;)
  • Lucky you cheuk5, I have partial live streams and no VOD (Canto23 / 粵海寬頻23 app).
    Does this upgrade process needs active internet connect while doing so?
    Don't remember if you need to be connected, but it does check some URL on the Internet during the upgrade process. So maybe that's what is throwing the error.
    No that is not necessary to be connected,The Pad 1 only read the file from your flash drive to upgrade B)
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    Got my m120 working with @Phantoman 's fix!

Had to change the file name to the model number listed in the TVPad settings. After the fw upgrade, the model became m121s LOL

After fw upgrade, I needed to use this installer to boot up the app install

https://mega.nz/#!eckhRLba!GgbEIy8oMzMEyiox7DLUEC3k6wmM9ut-8iDw3xznPnI

Then I use the apps in this pack.

https://mega.nz/#!CVEGkKJT!cXaWB9J9cbDc73m00pefZ3JsZstVEHlwpPnb_Jah7Z0

Note: You must replace the installer file listed above
    Thanked by 1veedubjai
    Lucky you cheuk5, I have partial live streams and no VOD (Canto23 / 粵海寬頻23 app).
    Hi Mr.Phantoman I am need this 粵海寬頻,粵海時移( old version for Pad 4) not for Canto23 / 粵海寬頻23( I thought this apps only for Pad 1,2,3) but thanks we miss you long times
  • edited January 2016
    After fw upgrade, I needed to use this installer to boot up the app install

https://mega.nz/#!eckhRLba!GgbEIy8oMzMEyiox7DLUEC3k6wmM9ut-8iDw3xznPnI
    I am majorly confused now. Are you saying that the "gvos2-sd1" also works for firmware 3.26 ??? If that's the case then they totally fooled me with this one =)

Note: You must replace the installer file listed above
    The one in the apps pack ?

Hi Mr.Phantoman I am need this 粵海寬頻,粵海時移( old version for Pad 4) not for Canto23 / 粵海寬頻23( I thought this apps only for Pad 1,2,3) but thanks we miss you long times
    Ah OK! Will check out those apps then.
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    edited January 2016
    @Phantoman yea i was trying a few things with the formatting of the usb drive but still couldn’t get the app manager to locate the pkgs on the usb.

Then I tried that specific version of the gvos2-sd1 and it worked. The one included in the second package did not work not mattered what I tried.

So these 2 file must be different somehow?

@Phantoman yea i was trying a few things with the formatting of the usb drive but still couldn’t get the app manager to locate the pkgs on the usb.

Then I tried that specific version of the gvos2-sd1 and it worked. The one included in the second package did not work not mattered what I tried.

So these 2 file must be different somehow?

Yes all I know the gvos2-sd1 has two version one for Pad 1 and the other for Pad2 and 3
  • Check out this thread:

That person had the same issue. The problem was solved by downloading the firmware from another location. This makes me believe that it could be a corrupted download in the first place. Have you tried to download the firmware again (if possible from another machine) ?
    @Phantoman,
    Thanks for sharing the thread. However, I don't think the v3.27 file I downloaded was corrupted. I even tried to perform factory reset before upgrade. This is what I observed:

1) I performed factory restore on TVPad. After restore, strangely the TVPad firmware still showed v3.26, and even all apps remained present. The only thing got wiped out was the network setting.

2) I attempted to re-download the v3.27 patch from 2 different computers, then performed the upgrade process after factory restore using the .tar file obtained from these 2 computer, and yet, the same "check version version failed" error immediately was shown when I tried to do the upgrade

Note: I have 2 TvPad1, both devices exhibit exact same behavior.

I spent the entire Saturday afternoon doing this task, and I am running out of ideas. Congrats to all you guys who successfully revived the TvPad1.
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    @fustrated What version is your t1 ?
    Check out this thread:

@Phantoman,
    Thanks for sharing the thread. However, I don't think the v3.27 file I downloaded was corrupted. I even tried to perform factory reset before upgrade. This is what I observed:

1) I performed factory restore on TVPad. After restore, strangely the TVPad firmware still showed v3.26, and even all apps remained present. The only thing got wiped out was the network setting.

2) I attempted to re-download the v3.27 patch from 2 different computers, then performed the upgrade process after factory restore using the .tar file obtained from these 2 computer, and yet, the same "check version version failed" error immediately was shown when I tried to do the upgrade

Note: I have 2 TvPad1, both devices exhibit exact same behavior.

I spent the entire Saturday afternoon doing this task, and I am running out of ideas. Congrats to all you guys who successfully revived the TvPad1.
    Please check what format of your flash drive is it Fat 32 or NTFS

• @fustrated What version is your t1 ?
    @padman
    System Info says M121S. Here is what I got from Settings -> System Info :-1:

Android Version: 2.3.4 Customized
    TVPad Version: 3.26
    Model: M121S_3311_GVOS2
    Product Version: International
    Current Language: English
    MAC Address:

Can this device be originally a M121, and converted to M121S when I upgraded to firmware 3.26 a couple of years ago. (I don't think so, but I honestly cannot remember)