Started Getting Error Message Yesterday "Use of product is restricted, for more information,..."

edited June 2017 in BlueTV
I purchased a BlueTV box in March 2016. Yesterday the box started giving the error message "Use of product is restricted, for more information, please contact seller." at the top of the screen, with a red X on the man icon at the upper right corner of the screen. It gives that error when I try to open any apps. It appears to be an authentication issue. I've tried unplugging the box for a few minutes, did this a couple of times, it did not help. I've tried a DNS setting I found on the Internet and it did not help. I tried to update the firmware, but it says I already have the latest version. Does anyone know of a solution for this issue, or what I need to do next? Thank you for any information.

Comments

• padmanpadman Moderator
    Have you tried contacting your seller?
  • Hi Padman, I received the same error message. And have tried contacting the seller whom I had purchased from a retail location in Canada. I have not received any responses. Can you please help out with the issue.
  • tomato123tomato123 Show Producer
    what firmware version you guys have?
  • The version I have is V1.010.
  • I tried to update when I had read about the version 1.012. but the message I received was I have the latest version. When I tried again today the message now reads network abnormal.
  • Thanks for the suggestions. I contacted the seller and he replied over a day ago "We will notices our technical support. Write back to you when get more about your issue." I have not heard back from him after that.

I have firmware v1.0.10 too and tried to update a few times, but it always says I already have the latest version and doesn't offer any option to update or make any changes.
  • It is not about the update version issue. I had seen this problem before with a red X on the man icon at the upper right corner of the screen. You try to reset your Bule TV box to default. It is just like you bought a new Blue TV box without any app. You have to wait about 2-3 minutes to see the app store icon show up. The red X on the man icon will gone.

You select restore and reset your Blue TV box to default. The restore picture on the right and it is past check update picture.

Good Luck
  • I purchased a BlueTV box in March 2016. Yesterday the box started giving the error message "Use of product is restricted, for more information, please contact seller." at the top of the screen, with a red X on the man icon at the upper right corner of the screen. It gives that error when I try to open any apps. It appears to be an authentication issue. I've tried unplugging the box for a few minutes, did this a couple of times, it did not help. I've tried a DNS setting I found on the Internet and it did not help. I tried to update the firmware, but it says I already have the latest version. Does anyone know of a solution for this issue, or what I need to do next? Thank you for any information.

Ray
    It is not about the update version issue. I had seen this problem before with a red X on the man icon at the upper right corner of the screen. You try to reset your Bule TV box to default. It is just like you bought a new Blue TV box without any app. You have to wait about 2-3 minutes to see the app store icon show up. The red X on the man icon will gone.

You select restore and reset your Blue TV box to default. The restore picture on the right and it is past check update picture.

Good Luck
  • Hi Padman, I received the same error message. And have tried contacting the seller whom I had purchased from a retail location in Canada. I have not received any responses. Can you please help out with the issue.
    It is not about the update version issue. I had seen this problem before with a red X on the man icon at the upper right corner of the screen. You try to reset your Bule TV box to default. It is just like you bought a new Blue TV box without any app. You have to wait about 2-3 minutes to see the app store icon show up. The red X on the man icon will gone.

Good Luc
  • Thanks for the suggestion Ray. I reset the box to default but still having the same problem. I have not received any more replies from the seller and will contact him again now. I am not happy about these Chinese TV boxes and sellers. I'm sure not all sellers are not helpful but my last two sellers have been no help at all. And of course they will not get any repeat business from me and when any friends ask me to recommend a seller, I will let them know who NOT to buy from.
  • I have also tried performing a restore and it was unsuccessful. I am currently in US and using VPN and tried a few network configurations, changing the DNS as well. My assumption it is like an issue from the server end that is causing the block. My I recall my last VPN connection was out to Singapore when this red X had occurred. At the moment I switched my VPN back to Canada.
  • I have also tried performing a restore and it was unsuccessful. I am currently in US and using VPN and tried a few network configurations, changing the DNS as well. My assumption it is like an issue from the server end that is causing the block. My I recall my last VPN connection was out to Singapore when this red X had occurred. At the moment I switched my VPN back to Canada.
    I have one more suggestion. First reset your Blue TV box again. Second select your country area (East or west USA I am in west side of USA). Third connect internet to your wifi. It won’t hurt to reset again over and over. You can try few more time because your Blue TV box won’t work anyway. If you still see the red X on the man and then connect to your Ethernet. You unplug the power and wait for few minutes and then you replug in the power. You will see you are now to connect to network not wifi. You can do it direct connect to Ethernet not wifi from the beginning.
  • When I do this method with the network connection it does allow me to get into the Storm app to for a VOD drama. But, the red X still comes on, and if I exit Storm app then I would get the error message. I also notice when watching a movie using this method it would close out by itself back bring me back into the Storm menu.

With this method it seem like I would have to beat the red X during the start-up to be able to watch. To my I'm guessing it has something to do on the server end. The other possibility I would think is to re-flash or upgrade the firm wire. I don't know who to contact to help resolve this issue from the company. The seller doesn't even respond to me.

Can someone tell me what country is using 1.012 that I can try to see if I can make a connection to download the latest firm ware. Or is there another way I can do a hard reset similar to the pin hole on the TVPad 4? Using the app within the BlueTv didn't resolve the issue.

I had a friend bring over to my place his BlueTv unit with the same firm ware version and it did not have any issues. This eliminates it being a network issue.
  • I doubt it's a firmware issue. I think our non-working boxes are no longer authorized on the servers. When the box first connects, there is for a second no red X, because the box is checking in with the server for authorization to access. As soon as the server detects the MAC address (ID) of our box, it finds they do not have authorized status and denies access, thus causing the red X to appear. I emailed bluetv and they asked for my MAC address. I replied with it a couple of days ago and have not heard back and the box is still not working. I suspect they decided they won't help me because I didn't buy the box directly from them. I am still waiting, hoping they will help. If my box doesn't get fixed (added to the authorized list), I will consider paying more to Sling TV. It's more money for less programing, but I am getting sick of this nonsense and sometimes unreliable signal even when it works.

I started with TVPad, then got a Moonbox when TVPad stopped streaming to my version 2 box, then when Moonbox decided to stop providing streaming, I bought this BlueTV. At least I got a little over a year of streaming with my BlueTV. A friend's BlueTV died in a few months, he's now on a HTV, and another friend's Moonbox died in only a couple of months. I don't want to buy another one of these, or even the HTV, with these bad odds. Plus my non-tech savvy old mother has to relearn the system every time we change it and that's very bad for her.
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    @bobpad You are going to contact your reseller. It's not a firmware issue.
  • @bobpad You are going to contact your reseller. It's not a firmware issue.
    I have contacted my seller twice, even sent him my MAC address, have not heard back from him except when he acknowledged receiving my first message a couple of weeks ago. I know it's not a firmware issue. As an IT support person, my opinion is this box fell off some authorized machines list and the seller needs to tell BlueTV or whoever runs the authentication servers to add my box back on the approved list. It seems somehow he can't or doesn't want to get a box he sold put back in service.