VPN and firmware upgrade

I am currently using VPN (PIA) and 2 routers with firmware 5.04. Should I upgrade to 5.06? Any benefits to the newer one?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• padmanpadman Moderator
    If you are in the states then avoid 5.06
  • clfnoleclfnole Junior Member
    Yes in the states which is why I asked first before updating. Wasn't sure if using the 2 router and VPN would avoid troubles. Thanks
  • padmanpadman Moderator
    Well if you are using vpn then it really wouldn't matter.

But since there is no way to downgrade TVP4, it would make sense to wait until they solve this mess before upgrading further.

• Hey Padman,
    As you know I in US, currently running v5.054 firmware on TVPad4, but using auto DNS. If someday I want to upgrade firmware (not that I have a need to do that anytime soon), how would I do it?
    On my device, even if I connect to VPN, I cannot get to app store, & check upgrade always return "no upgrade" message.
    Do I need to use a particular DNS number to get there?
  • Dear Fustrated, I'm running V5.054 FW on TVP4 connected to 2nd router to HK server. I'm currently able to get to app store with DNS 49xx. You'll want to make sure the network manual screen inputs reflects the 2nd router IP address.
  • Oh cool. Thanks Orca4wd, I will check it out

• Well if you are using vpn then it really wouldn't matter.

But since there is no way to downgrade TVP4, it would make sense to wait until they solve this mess before upgrading further.

What is the disadvantage of upgrading to 5.06? I had upgraded mine and I am able to use VPN with normal DNS to access the TVPad servers. I was also able to upgrade the apps from TVPad Store.
  • most likely that you need VPN to use 5.06 and since we don't know TVPAD's future plan, it's possible future one might work without VPN (although I doubt it)